"True artistic expression lies in conveying emotion."

"True artistic expression lies in conveying emotion."

Thursday, September 1, 2016

Camera Junkie - All the Film, All the Cameras

I'm addicted to old cameras.  It started about 7 years ago, when my husband brought home a vintage Minolta SRT-101 from an estate sale.  Some I purchased from ebay, some from thrift or antique stores, some were gifts.  Some of them work like a charm, some of them are hopeless, and a few of them I just haven't taken the time to figure out yet, but here I am, staring at this beautiful collection, determined to use the ones that work, and to proudly display the ones that don't. There is something fulfilling in looking at my mantle and seeing all these old cameras.  I look at them and wonder who they belonged to, and what kind of memories were frozen in time at the click of the shutter.


Lubitel Universal 166, Made in Russia 1980


Minolta SrT-101, Made in Japan 1966


Kodak Brownie Target Six-20, Made in USA and France 1941


Kodak Brownie Hawkeye Flash, Made in USA 1950


Steky Model II, 16mm sub-mini, Made in Japan 1950


Steky II in the palm of my hand.  I swear it's like the puppy of cameras.


Kodak Brownie Starmite, Made in USA 1960


Minolta Autopak 700, Made in Japan 1966


Yashica Electro 35 G, Made in Japan 1968


Kodak Brownie Bullet, Made in USA 1957-1964


Minolta Maxxum 3xi, Made in Japan 1991

This camera is particularly special to me.  It documented my life from 21-31, and was the camera on which I learned the basics of photography, and truly fell in love with the art.


Dick Tracy Toy Camera, 1940s

(A real, working camera! Shutter sticks, but a fun addition to the collection that I snagged at an antique market several years ago)


Minolta Freedom 115, Made in Japan 2001
(found recently at a Goodwill for $4)


Mamiya ZE-2, Made in Japan 1980


Minolta Hi-Matic G, Made in Japan 1974


Nikon N2000, Made in Japan 1985


Nikon F100, Made in Japan 1999


The ones I use frequently are the Nikon F100, Minolta SrT-101 and Hi-matic G, and the Mamiya ZE-2,  I just got the Lubitel, and I am anxious to try it out, but I realized it's missing a handle and may have to find a solution for this before I will be able to test it.  


So there you have it. My "dirty little secret" is out, and please, whatever you do, don't schedule an intervention.  If loving old film cameras is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Until next time-
xoxo Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment