"True artistic expression lies in conveying emotion."

"True artistic expression lies in conveying emotion."

Monday, September 5, 2016

Experimenting with Light - #FindingTheLightWithErinHensley

I have a lot of photographer friends. A lot. Really.  And I have learned from and been inspired by all of them at some point. But there's this one, Erin Hensley, that has a nifty little group on facebook, and every month she has a theme to inspire people to get out and shoot, and I really, really love it.  Not only is it filled with eye-candy of nearly 5k photographers (yes, nearly FIVE THOUSAND), but it's filled with lots of support and sharing of knowledge. August's theme was "Experimenting with Light", and since I had quite a few interesting images as a result of this theme, I thought I would blog them.  I am really loving the results of trying some new tricks and re-trying some old ones.

So, without further jabber, here are the fruits of my inspiration.

 This one was shot as I rode shotgun with one of my best friends, Amie (another amazing photographer friend), and she indulged my quirky desire to shoot landscapes at a slow shutter speed while in motion.  That's a good friend, y'all.

Another one from my drive with Amie.  I love this so much, I am going to name it and write some poetry about it.  Don't judge me.


 These two were also done while Amie drove and let me hang out the window of her car with my shutter slowed waaaay down (it was past sunset).  These two look to me like paintbrush strokes, or the pinkish one like a peacock feather and the blue one reminds me of wind.

 Now, this one looks to me like a reflection in a puddle.  It's actually an out of focus image shot through a glass door while it rained, with one of those little spiral shaker balls (like from a shaker bottle for smoothies) held about an inch away from the lens.  Neat, huh?

 Teensy-tiny little ant-sized bug of some sort, on a tiny little flower in my yard.  This one was captured "reverse freelensed", or with the lens detached and rotated backwards for the soft, dreamy effect with macro capabilities.

 Another reverse freelensed image.  I love the way freelensing catches and manipulates flare.

 This one and the next three, were done using a prism.  It's a nifty, but tricky little gadget and makes for some really beautiful, surreal, other-worldly images.

Very surreal, like a dream.

And this one looks like either heavy fog, or a pathway above the clouds.

This one makes my rainbow-loving, inner-child happy.

This lovely, glowy image was catured at dark, beneath Amie's porch light.  It's actually a multiple exposure using a prism. I think it's dreamy, and I dig it.


Technical Details:

Nikon D700
Nikon 50 1.4D | Nikon 28 2.8D
Prism
Imagination
Rad friend willing to drive while I hung out the passenger window

If you want to be inspired, or just have a hankering for eye-candy, join the Finding the Light with Erin Hensley group on facebook, follow her on Instagram and like her facebook page.  You can thank me later.



Love-
Leah


No comments:

Post a Comment