"True artistic expression lies in conveying emotion."

"True artistic expression lies in conveying emotion."

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Vintage Film Slides - The Day I Won The Internet - #TBT #AllTheFilm

If you know me at all, or follow me on Instagram, you probably know I have a hankering for old things.  I'm not sure what it is, but old things offer a sort of comfort to me, and I find them thought-provoking and just generally more interesting than shiny, new things.  I like to know or guess their story, whose lives they were once pieces of.

Recently, I was looking on eBay for expired 35mm film, and I came across something that sparked an excitement in me reminiscent of Christmas morning when I was five, or driving away from the house alone for the first time when I was 15.

I came across a vintage slide, of David Bowie.

THE David Bowie.

And I LOVE David Bowie.

As a kid, one of my favorite films was Labyrinth, and as an adult my favorite film (The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou) even includes Bowie songs, both sung by him and covered in Portuguese by Seau Jorge.  Two-out-of-three albums that changed my life are Bowie Albums.  Not to mention, my ten-year-old is an even bigger Bowie fan, and has been planning to be his character from Labyrinth , "Jareth, the Goblin King," since last year at Halloween, and can pretty much accurately list his discography in order of year recorded, and that's a lot of knowledge.

So, needless to say, I had to have it.

I set an alarm on my phone to remind me near the end of the auction, and realized I would be waiting in the car line at the kids' school at the time bidding ended. I was cautiously hopeful, excited, and determined that I would own it.

Well, time came and went, and I won the slide.  And I have to say, without a doubt, it's one of my favorite possessions.  It feels a bit like owning a tiny piece of David Bowie's history, and I know one little girl who is looking forward to inheriting it someday.



I should note that I do not have rights to reproduce for profit or distribution, but that I may print for personal use, which is enough for me.

The best part? I only paid $8 for it, shipping and all.

It was the day I won the internet.



This is a "scan" taken with my macro lens, but I plan on getting a proper scanner soon so I can get a high resolution file to order myself a print.

David Bowie in French artist Victor Vasarely’s workshop in 1977. Photograph: Christian Simonpietri/Sygma/Corbis 


I have a ton of vintage slides to share over the coming months, including landmarks, vintage cars, bridges, boats, planes and Americana lifestyle and snapshots from the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s;  so be sure to subscribe for updates on #TBT posts, where I will share random photos, stories, and knowledge of old stuff, like vintage cameras, expired films and vintage slides.

Thanks for stopping by!

XOXO Leah


No comments:

Post a Comment