"True artistic expression lies in conveying emotion."

"True artistic expression lies in conveying emotion."

Friday, September 30, 2016

#FilmFriday - Neglected Film - Portra 160 + Nikon F100

 So I told you before about the expired, neglected Provia 100f and Ektar 100 that was accidentally stored in a hot attic (and I mean deep south hot!) for several months...well, this one was neglected and abused as well.  In fact, several frames were shot in 2014, and the entire camera ended up in the attic after our impromptu move.  The remaining frames were shot back in the spring of this year, so nearly two years between loading and finishing this roll, if that tells you anything about how chaotic life was during that time.  I was surprised by some of the shots, since it had been long enough for me to forget what exactly was on the roll before I rescued the camera from the attic.  Fortunately, despite the harsh conditions the already expired film was stored in, it still produced some lovely images.  Not what you'd typically get from this film by any means, but a lovely, sort of washed-out vintage look, in my opinion.

From an early Spring Hike at Longhunter State Park in Tennessee



How about this lovely light leak, that seems to almost mirror the sunflare?  I kind of dig it.

 Seriously one of my favorite spots in Nashville.  It's my meditation spot.

 I love all the cliffs that overlook Couchville Lake

 The trail through the picnic area, that goes out to the shore of the lake.



 red shadows and grain. yum.




The next few were from the front of the roll, and were shot in 2014, before our spontaneous move.

 Orange Beach, Florida
June 2014

 Ridiculously silly then-eight-year-old Olivia, picnicking at the sprayground at Dewayne Hayes Recreational Center just outside of Columbus, MS June 2014

Jayson working the grill like a boss.

And lastly, a single frame from my cousin's beautiful wedding at the LDS Temple in Houston, TX 

Not Sure why I only shot one frame on this camera that day, I feel like I may discover another roll with images from this day as I develop more mystery rolls.  

Well, there you have it kids. If you buy Portra 160 and neglect and abuse it by shooting several frames, then storing it in a hot attic for several months, and finish shooting the rest two years later, you will still get some lovely, yet unpredictable images.  I especially like the washed-out colors, muted highlights and red shadows. 

Shoot some film!

XOXO Leah

Technical Details:

Nikon F100
Portra 160 (expired and improperly stored, rated at box speed)
Processed at Dury's of Nashville

No comments:

Post a Comment